Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Suit. No tie. Yes please.

Summer wedding season is here so needless to say, I've seen my fair share of fashion statements over the past month or so at ceremonies, receptions and rehearsal dinners. Linen, eh... Seersucker, too flashy... Plain charcoal, yawn... The obvious new trend that is exciting the wonderful world of male wardrobes however is "suit, no tie."

If you've turned on the TV in the last several months, you've probably seen our trendy new head of state sporting this look. So if the pres can do it while giving speeches, I don't see why some people frown upon it when it comes to semi-formal social gatherings.

I won't lie. I haven't sported this look too often. It's obviously meant for some people, and I'm not sure if I'm one of those some people just yet. I tried it once at a rehearsal dinner a few weeks back for the simple reason that I didn't have any other options as the wedding was out of town and I didn't pack appropriately, but the get up was met by mixed emotions. The younger crowd gave a unanimous voice of approval, but the older folks, no offense to you Baby Boomers out there, didn't directly express disdain, but shot me not so warm glances.

So is this new fashion statement a yay, or a nay? Let's explore.

First, the negatives.

1) Laziness:
Wearing a suit without a tie gives people the impression that you are too apathetic or lazy to pick out a coordinating tie to spice up your wardrobe and follow simple etiquette when it comes time to dress up. It may also give them the idea that you might be incapable of tying a tie which obviously screams, "UNCULTURED."

2) Leaves an outfit lacking:
Going out on a limb to stand out this way can also make you blend in by looking drab. A tie is the way a man stands out. People rarely remember a man's look unless he has on an eye grabbing tie. If you decide to go "suit, no tie" but don't pick out the appropriate suit and shirt, you stand a good chance of only being remembered as "that guy that didn't wear a tie." For example, "Did you see 'that guy that didn't wear a tie?' What a chad (slang for loser)." To pull this look off without having people say things like this, pick out a snappy shirt if you wear a solid colored suit, or pick out a patterned suit to mix with a solid shirt.

3) Maybe you're trying too hard:
Since this look is so "in" right now, if you try to wear it and aren't meant to, people again might think you look downright silly. You probably think, "Oh man, Jeremy Piven looks so bad ass on Entourage when he wears a suit without a tie so obvi (abreev for obviously) I will too." Wrong. Chances are if you're trying to look like an Entourage character and you don't normally dress like one, you're going to go overboard and appear at your party looking ridiculous. You likely will pick out an obnoxiously bright shirt and try to pair it with your drab charcoal suit. Trust me the result will be horrendous. Don't go all out first. Try "suit, no tie" simply and if you're met with a warm reception, get snazzier the next time.

Now the positives.

1) EVERYONE is doing it:
It's impossible to watch TV without seeing a celeb sporting this look. The aforementioned Obama and Piven. Timberlake, Kanye, Lebron, Phelps, Kobe, Bono, etc. are all being lavished with good press for dressing the way they do. If they are gracing the red carpet this way, then it's obviously OK for others to follow suit. But again, beware. Just because celebrities are doing it doesn't mean you HAVE to. There is a reason they are famous. They're attractive, and if someone tries to pull off the star look without having the aesthetic qualities to match, the result could be disastrous.

2) It says, "Hey. I'm cool.":
People that can pull off this trend often have that aloof, "I know I look good," quality. It says you're confident and dapper. It says, "Look at me. I'm a pretty person, and I can dress with the best of them."

3)You don't have to loosen your tie:
When the reception kicks in to full gear and the smooth sounds of Motown are being belted by the band, it's pretty annoying to have to loosen your tie, take it off and keep up with it or worry about some drunk chad (see above definition) spilling wine all over it and ruining it. If you don't wear a tie, none of those things have to cross your mind. You can groove all night without ever thinking twice about the sassy silk around your neck.

So here we are left with a decision to make. Tie, no tie? What is a boy to do? Here's my final word of wisdom. If you have a social function to attend that doesn't come with much pressure, give it a whirl. If it's met with compliments and second glances from those with the Y chromosome, try it again at your next big soiree. If you see people pointing and whispering, you know not to do it again. Like I said, this look is meant for some people but not for others. Maybe you're one, maybe not. But if you see me trying it and I look bad, just let me think I look good. It's the least you can do for me providing such great weekly entertainment for you.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't notice you sporting the Saddam look at Price's rehearsal dinner but I do agree with more of the negative positions regarding this new craze.

    ReplyDelete