Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I'm a Memphian. And proud.

Over the course of my life I've spent in places other than my hometown of Memphis, TN, I frequently answer the common question asked of me by people I'm meeting for the first time. "Where are you from?" To which I logically reply, "Memphis." After I respond I am more often than not met with a grim look, a smirk, an occasional laugh or even a phrase like, "Oh. That must have been tough growing up there. It's such a wretched city."

Ok. So maybe I don't get that last one too often, but it's unmistakable that people who are not from Memphis have a very low opinion of it as a whole. And to an outsider, they should have that general consensus. The picture that the country and the media and books and movies all present of my town are extremely negative. Why shouldn't people think it's a craphole place to live?

Because it's not.

Sure our mayor (Yep. That's him.) King Willie Herenton may be as crooked as he is tall (6'6"). Our city's quasi savior, Tiger Basketball Coach John Calipari, may have left us for bluer pastures. Our public school system may be falling by the wayside. And our crime rates may be among the highest in the nation. But in all honesty, Memphis, my city, my hometown isn't all that bad, and I really am proud when I tell people where I grew up.

I understand that it's hard to see a silver lining in what most people see as the darkest of dark clouds, but there are unnumbered things in Memphis that look like rays of sunshine busting through those storm clouds. So for those of you that are Memphis skeptics, or in the words of our supposedly outgoing mayor, "haters" or for those of you that are in Memphis looking for some good to cling on to and be proud of, here you go.

Reneighboring. It may look like a typo, but it is a movement sweeping the city. Essentially reneighboring looks like this: Upper middle class families forgo the creature comforts of gated communities and the burbs and move into the dilapidated, rough areas of town in an attempt to help the community out, build bridges in a city still suffering from a severe racial divide and show people that because one neighborhood might be labeled as "bad" doesn't mean that it's impossible to live there safely and comfortably. It would be hard for me to do the whole concept justice in my short weekly rant, so if you want some more info regarding this new concept check out this article from The Commercial Appeal:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/28/where-would-jesus-live/.

I promise it's worth the read, more so than reading my words for sure. And I also promise that this is something worthwhile done by good people in Memphis that want to see our city change for the better.

Besides reneighboring, there are other things to be proud of in Memphis. How about our zoo? It may sound trivial, but it is unquestionably one of the top 15, if not 10, zoos in the nation. With the addition of the Pandas a few years back and the new Polar Bear exhibit, our zoo can contend with all of the big boys in this industry. Chicago, New Orleans and even San Diego are all great zoos, but Memphis is just as good as any of those. In all honesty, San Diego, the Mecca of the captive animal world isn't worth all the hype. It's too big, and Memphis has all the same stuff SoCal does. If you haven't been to the zoo recently, take a nice Saturday and give it a whirl. If you aren't in Memphis, check it out next time you go. It's well worth it.

http://www.memphiszoo.org/


Our downtown area has also been developing quite nicely since the addition of Autozone Park 10 years ago. Main Street is going through a nice resurgence. The Grizzlies and FedEx Forum provide great entertainment in the sports and music world. And Beale Street is still quite a destination for partiers and history buffs alike. Restaurant choices are becoming more and more plentiful and downtown now, as opposed to 15 years ago, is a great destination not just for young people looking to have a good time, but for families as well. With the movement of the University of Memphis Law School to the old United States Customs House and Post Office, look for the area to become a nice crossroads for the student and young executive world.

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/downtownmemphis/index.asp

Really, the list of great things happening right now in Memphis could go on and on, but I'll end it on this exciting and somewhat heartwarming note, once again to my embarrassment from America's Got Talent. If you've ever been on Beale when the Flippers flip down the street, you'll understand why the people in the audience from the following video can't help but stand up and applaud. It's an incredible sight to see, and it's great to know these kids can find something fun and productive to do so they can break away from the gang and crime infested ways that many of their peers and friends have succumbed to. Watch the video and enjoy it. Don't be surprised at the goosebumps you get when you see the crowd's reaction.

Thanks for reading again. I hope now you might have a small glimpse into the pride I feel when I tell people that I'm from Memphis...

2 comments: