Thursday, December 3, 2009

Tim Tebow parties in the USA...

There are things and people that come into our lives that we obviously love. And there are things and people that come into our lives that we obviously hate. But then there are a few things and people that we come across that we know we should hate, but we simply cannot.

Examples:

We love The Beatles. We love college football. We love naps on rainy Sunday afternoons. We love Oreos.

We hate Nickelback. We hate being on a road trip and having to pee really bad. We hate Osama bin Laden. We hate Notre Dame.

So what should we hate but find it impossible to?

Tim Tebow and the song "Party in the USA."

Over the past semester, (I don't know if I can still use that word since I'm not a student, but whatev.) I have tried so hard to hate the two aforementioned things, but just can't seem to darken my heart enough to.

After a late night dance party my roommate decided to throw on a gameday weekend in Oxford, MS, I thought I could never hear Miley's smash hit again without wanting to vomit. Over a three hour period of trying to fall asleep, I heard my roomie and his dancing pals play that song no less than 15 times, no exaggeration.

So it was ingrained in my head to associate the song with hate and rage. But every time I heard it after the fact it grew and grew on me until I couldn't help but dance to it and sing along with it myself. It's catchy. It's funny. It uses the phrase"L.A.X." What's not to love?

Do people judge me because I like it? NO! Because everyone lik... no, loves that jam. It's destined to be one of the greatest songs of our generation, and one day I hope I can crank it up in the car pool line and have my kids sing along to it with their Pops.

But you can't deny that the song is cheesy, poppy and designed for 13 year old girls. I should hate it, but I can't. I bet you could walk into a Gothic kid's room while nobody else was home and he'd be singing along with it on his iTunes. Of course it would be disguised with a Slipknot song title so when it's number one on his most played list he won't lose any Goth street cred.

Moving in a different direction: Tim Tebow.

He's just too good to be true. He's like Tiger Woods minus the affairs and the berating of photo snappers trying to get a pic of him. Watching him play and lead his teammates is like tasting Jello for the first time. It's like seeing the Mighty Ducks for the first time. It just inspires.

Now I understand if you are an Alabama or Tennessee of Georgia or FSU fan that you, by law, have to hate him, and I understand. But you can't not respect the guy. I mean in the last two years, his only loss was at the hands of my Ole Miss Rebels, and I honestly don't know which got me more jacked up, our win or his post game promise to never lose again.

He's the best player in the history of college football, maybe even college sports, he's a kid of character and faith and his desire to win is only matched by his desire to help the people around him.

So we want to hate him, then we see the 10 minute interview on Sportscenter and we think, "Crap. Dude's a great guy."

I thought for awhile that Bama would prevail this coming up weekend. Nope. Tim Tebow won't lose. It's just not possible. And for that we try and hate him, but in crowded rooms watching the game we all find ourselves cheering silently for him every time he touches the ball and getting silently choked up when he discusses his faith and the mission work he's done.

Bottom line is that Tim Tebow and Miley Cyrus need to have two kids. A boy that can follow in his dad's footsteps and a girl that can pump out the hits like her mom so the next generation can appreciate the dilemma all the world is in trying to hate the two but secretly loving them. So Miley and Tim, if you happen to read this, do your best to make that happen, for the kids of course, both yours and the general population's.

Other things we should hate, but we really love:

1) Professional Wrestling
2) Wednesdays with Warner
3) That Thing You Do (both song and movie)
4) Dan Brown novels
5) Full House


So maybe those are my top five, but I bet at least one is one of yours...

2 comments:

  1. Warner...I stinkin love your blog :) I too love Tim Tebow and That Thing You Do...what can I say? Be blessed!

    Corey

    ReplyDelete