Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Small Business at its Best

Upon returning home to Memphis this past weekend, I was welcomed with open arms by quite a ferocious storm. Lasting no longer than ten minutes, it sent the city into a state of helplessness as it left over 100,000 without power. While having the air conditioner go out is quite a pain in the rear, at least one is able to access the internet and watch TV, but when the power goes out, that same person is left to read a book by a lantern or next to the window and sweat it out.

So fiddlesticks. The power's out. The air in the house is stagnant and smells of dog. What is a cute boy to do? Well, the only logical choice for this cute boy, was to consume mass amounts of buffalo wings with my friends as their power was out as well.

Even though Memphis is home to the world's best BBQ, I have heard it said recently that there are more hot wing restaurants than BBQ ones, so it seems our options were wide open as to where to get our savory dinner. Wrong. Think again. When it comes to Memphis wings there is only one choice. Ching's Wings on Getwell.

I could go on for hours about the goodness of the wings and the atmosphere, but I'll try to be brief. I'll give you three reasons why there is no other option for wings in the 901.

1) The wings are the best. Honey hot, honey gold, seasoned, mild, hot, x-hot, and suicide provide options for any wing eater to enjoy, and all are exquisite. I'm talking flavor here, not just heat. Any average Joe can load a wing up with hot sauce and think it's good because it makes grown men drop to their knees in gut wrenching pain and sob in their hands, but even the hottest at Ching's have flavor to enjoy. If I had to rate the wings, it would be best to quote my old pal Usher, or as I like to call him, Ursh-Daddy. "From a one to ten, they're a certified twenty." (Actual photo of Ching's. Accept no imitations.)

2) Clientele is unmatched. Even though Ching's is in a rough area of Memphis, it is worth it to mix and mingle with the customers. The first time I went to Ching's, I was greeted by a plethora of stares and jeers because my skin color wasn't quite the same as the typical Ching's-goer, but after a few visits, I was a regular. No more stares. No more hostility. Just good wings with good people. And when I say good people, it doesn't take long to figure out how good when you look on the walls and see hundreds of photos of various customers, many of these pictures featuring local heroes such as Derrick Rose, Rodney Carney, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and others from the Memphis Tigers basketball team. Even some pictures of he who must not be named anymore in Memphis (cough cough John Calipari cough) still adorn the walls.

Seriously though, Memphis is a city still divided by race, but when people find a common bond, walls are torn down, and even something as silly as hot wings can be a common bond. How great is that?

3) Three words: Orange Mound Punch. You think sweet tea is great? Well Orange Mound Punch is a wonderful concoction of red drink and orange drink and lots of sugar, a liquid cavity causer if you would. But it is the jam, no doubt. For more info on the name origin, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Mound,_Memphis.

So we got great wings, good people, and OMP, but I realized in the power outage, or the "Weekend from Hell" as I dubbed it, that Ching's is about pleasing the customer, a quality that has been lost recently in our society. Day in and day out I come across businesses that could care less about the patron and are only out to make the almighty dollar. While Ching's is a business and wants to make money, they ultimately want to see their customers leave with a smile on their face.

When I pulled into the parking lot on Friday evening, I noticed all the shops in the strip were closed. Looked like my friends and I would be enjoying Taco Bell instead of Ching's. But as I drove past Ching's and saw that the lights were out, I noticed the familiar face of the owner, Lafayette, approaching my window.

"Hey man. The power's out. But my cook still here. I'll get him to fix you and your boys some. Go tell him what you want. He'll get it out to you. Just tell him what you need. We'll get it for you," Lafayette told me in his typcial high-pitched, rushed way.

I walked into the store and saw the cook behind the counter, sweat dripping from his brow, but a smile on his face nonetheless. He took my order, got it ready in the dark, his only source of help, a small handheld flashlight, and gave my wings to me and my friends at a discount price. Of course we left to eat them someplace cool, but not before Lafayette sat down and chatted with us for twenty minutes or so. It's hard to get out of Ching's if he is working without talking to him for fifteen minutes or more, but it's worth the time. He cares about people and wants to see them happy. Some might call him an idealist, but in the world today, amidst economic turmoil and severe morality issues and violence and disease, it is refreshing to see someone who still cares about people, who wants to see someone beside himself happy.

As I went home that night and proceeded to try and fall sleep in a pool of my own sweat, I couldn't help but think about the people I personally know that are truly selfless. Sadly, only a handful came to mind. However, Lafayette was one of them. In a neighborhood plagued by crime and with a bad reputation amongst the people with whom I consort, Lafayette pushes on and tries to make the most of the situation all the while proving that there is still goodness in a broken world.

When I took my mother to Ching's to pick up food once, she cringed as we pulled into the parking lot.

"You come here on a regular basis? Are you nuts?" she asked me.

After she met Lafayette, she had no more questions...

On a completely unrelated note...
This week's sign of the apocalypse:


Lauren Conrad writes a novel. Not even kidding.

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-sweet-bits-from-lauren-conrads-novel-la-candy/

1 comment:

  1. I don't know, but I think Frank's Wings and Things in Byhalia, Mississippi can give your Ching's a run for it's money... I'm not big on wings, period, but their cheeseburgers are HEAVENLY. And Frank is a crazy old man, and many of my experiences there mirror yours at Ching's. Except the whole power thing. For once, I was glad to live out in the sticks because our power was out for only five hours.

    But maybe Ching and Frank are related and share a secret recipe. You should try Frank's. It's kind of on the way back to Oxford.

    ReplyDelete